Welcome to My Garden

We may walk on different paths, but we follow the same footprints.

This year I'm focusing on improving my running and overall health by taking the 2017 Mile Challenge and seeing where the journey takes me. I'm also revisiting the Monthly Challenge started by Nephew Jason in 2009.

I'll try to post something every day. It may be a short inspirational quote or a longer narrative. Please join me......

"If you don't try, you won't know you can."


Wednesday, September 6, 2017

2017 miles Day 247

This morning I read an interesting post about aging.

Posted by Tony Garcia:
This. A whisper from my heart.
So, after more than a dozen years running races, yesterday, I ran my very first 10k.
I didn't really know what to expect, as I am truly not in racing form. But that's a story for another day.
I went out fast early, and managed to hold on late to pick up an AG place medal. I was very surprised and excited by that.
But more, I was extremely pleased with my overall consistency. As 4 of the miles I held at a 7:15-7:17 per mile pace.
When I went to check the results, there was a note that said as the result of having a time faster than my age (45:39), I would also receive the "Ageless Wonder" ribbon.
Say what? Hahaha! Suddenly, I felt old.
But the more I sat with the idea of being an "ageless wonder", I began to wonder how I am aging?
And here is what I came to understand.
I am not ageless. I am aging.
I am aging stronger.
I am aging bolder.
I am aging gracefully.
I am aging naturally.
I am aging braver.
I am aging wiser.
I am aging gently.
I am aging without regret.
I am aging without surrender.
I am aging beautifully.
I will accept my "Ageless Wonder" ribbon. But I am aging. And I'm good with that. ~G

I guess I really don't quite understand the age thing. When you are young you wish you were older.  When you are older, you wish you were younger.  I believe that age is a number that relates to the time marked from your date of birth.  You reach a certain age - you go to school.  You reach a certain age, you get a driver's license.  You reach a certain age and you are old enough to serve in the military and drink alcohol.  You reach a certain age and you are eligible for medicare.  You reach a certain age and...................  
When you reach a certain age, that doesn't mean you quit living life Full Force.  There are no bench marks or age limits to doing what you love.  To age, to get older, to realize you are given this finite beautiful life is to realize that life is a process. What's wrong with living the age that you are, and living life as a participant instead of a spectator?  Who made the rules?
And so, I will age naturally and gracefully.  I will age without regret or surrender.  I will age bolder, stronger, and wiser.  I will age, and I will age beautifully.  I will not "go gentle into that goodnight."  I will live this finite life "Full Force!!!" at the age that I am. ❤️

Now, Get Out There...... You have work to do!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment