Welcome to My Garden

We may walk on different paths, but we follow the same footprints.

This year I'm focusing on improving my running and overall health by taking the 2017 Mile Challenge and seeing where the journey takes me. I'm also revisiting the Monthly Challenge started by Nephew Jason in 2009.

I'll try to post something every day. It may be a short inspirational quote or a longer narrative. Please join me......

"If you don't try, you won't know you can."


Thursday, March 16, 2017

2017 miles Day 75

A few small changes in diet can have huge impacts.  This month I've been focusing on reading food labels.  It's interesting what goes into many of the "good for you" foods ... those that are marketed as being healthy.  One of them is yogurt.  I was amazed at what I found on the label of Yoplait Strawberry Yogurt.  There are 170 calories and 26 g of sugar in one serving.  WOW!!!  What else is in there?  The ingredients list is a bit long with several added ingredients I wasn't sure about.

Image result for yoplait yogurt nutrition

I love yogurt, but didn't want all that "extra stuff" that commercially produced yogurt companies put in.  So, I decided to try to make it myself.  It was a lot easier than I thought, and I was able to control the ingredients.  I actually have been successfully making my own yogurt for a while.

You can find the process online.  There are several websites that give great step-by-step instructions.

How to Make Yogurt at Home!!!
Here is what I did.

I started with a small container of plain Greek yogurt containing active live cultures.  I compared several and chose the one with at least 5 cultures listed.  The brand isn't as important.  But, it must contain the active live cultures.

The process:
(I purchased a 7 cup glass bowl that has a plastic lid and have a glass 1/2 pint jar to save some of the yogurt for the starter for next time.)
1.  Measure 6 cups of whole milk.
2.  Heat the milk in a kettle on the stove to 185 degrees.  Be very careful not to scorch your milk.
3.  Cool the milk to about 90 degrees then add your container of plain Greek yogurt you bought at the store.
4.  Pour part of the mixture in the 1/2 pint jar to be used as the starter for next time.  Pour the rest into the glass bowl and cover with the lid.
5.  Set the bowl and jar in a warm place (about 100 degrees) for about 12 hours.  I have a multi-function cooker that has a yogurt setting.  It was kinda expensive, but it is also a pressure cooker, rice cooker, and slow cooker.  So, the cost wasn't really that much.  I also use it to heat my milk instead of on the stove.  Just a bit more convenient.
6.  After 12 hours, put the bowl and jar of starter in the refrigerator to cool and finish solidifying.
7.  Enjoy!!!
8.  If you want the thick Greek style yogurt, you can strain it through a coffee filter.  Use the liquid whey for cooking or drinking.  The resulting yogurt will be nice and solid.  Almost a cream cheese consistency.

There is nothing like fresh yogurt.  And the best part is you control the ingredients.  I use it in breads, add some blue cheese for a rich and creamy blue-cheese dressing, add it to smoothies, as a topping for our morning bowl of oatmeal.......  Like the fruit flavored yogurt?  Add your own fresh or frozen.

Try it!!!!  Making your own yogurt isn't as hard as it looks.  Be sure to start with a plain yogurt that contains the active live cultures.  They will do all the work for you.


NOW .....  GET OUT THERE!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment