Welcome to My Garden

We may walk on different paths, but we follow the same footprints.

This year I'm focusing on improving my running and overall health by taking the 2017 Mile Challenge and seeing where the journey takes me. I'm also revisiting the Monthly Challenge started by Nephew Jason in 2009.

I'll try to post something every day. It may be a short inspirational quote or a longer narrative. Please join me......

"If you don't try, you won't know you can."


Tuesday, February 14, 2017

2017 miles Day 45

Today's topic:  Kombucha

My daughter introduced me to kombucha a couple of years ago.  I really liked it especially the tart fizzyness.  Of course there are many articles written about the probiotic benefits and others that question whether or not it's that cure-all-ills beverage that some tout it to be.  For me, I just like the taste and the fact that it isn't that hard to brew your own.

I found a great website that does a pretty good job explaining the brew process.

How to make kombucha tea at home

What I discovered:
I didn't need to buy any expensive equipment or purchase a SCOBY.  I started my own using a bottle of GT's organic raw kombucha from the grocery store.  (The important thing is that it is raw and not pasteurized.)  I added the kombucha to a glass gallon jar with half gallon of sweet tea that I brewed using 4 teabags and 1/2 cup white sugar, covered it with a cotton cloth secured with a rubber band, and set it a warm spot where it wouldn't be disturbed for about a week.  I checked on it and found a film growing on the top.  This is NORMAL and this film will become thicker and eventually opaque.  I let it set for another week and tasted the now fermented kombucha.  It was pretty good.

I followed the instructions from the website about bottling and infusing with fresh ginger and/or fruit and starting the next batch.

Bottom line - SUCCESS!!!  I started a continuous brew system and now do not run out of this delicious refreshing drink for a whole lot less $$ than purchasing a bottle from the grocery store.

Another benefit - kombucha is a lot better health wise than soda!!!!

Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment