Welcome to My Garden

We may walk on different paths, but we follow the same footprints.

This year I'm focusing on improving my running and overall health by taking the 2017 Mile Challenge and seeing where the journey takes me. I'm also revisiting the Monthly Challenge started by Nephew Jason in 2009.

I'll try to post something every day. It may be a short inspirational quote or a longer narrative. Please join me......

"If you don't try, you won't know you can."


Saturday, February 4, 2017

2017 miles Day 35

My topic for today is emotional exercise.  I understand physical and cognitive exercise, but emotional exercise is a bit more elusive.  I found a very interesting website on the topic of emotional intelligence and thought I'd share. (See Helpguide.org link below.  There is also a link to the Helpguide toolkit - a 5 step program to managing overwhelming stress and emotions.)

What is emotional intelligence?
Emotional intelligence (EQ) is the ability to identify, use, understand, and manage emotions in positive ways to relieve stress, communicate effectively, empathize with others, overcome challenges, and defuse conflict. Emotional intelligence impacts many different aspects of your daily life, such as the way you behave and the way you interact with others.
If you have high emotional intelligence you are able to recognize your own emotional state and the emotional states of others, and engage with people in a way that draws them to you. You can use this understanding of emotions to relate better to other people, form healthier relationships, achieve greater success at work, and lead a more fulfilling life.
Authors: Jeanne Segal, Ph.D., and Melinda Smith, M.A. Last updated: December 2014.
Helpguide.org:  Emotional Intelligence

Helpguide Toolkit

Note:  This website does have a lot of great information and strategies, but it is not a "I've read it, now I'll be emotionally strong" fix-all.  Just like your physical and cognitive being need exercise, your emotional being also needs exercise.  And, sometimes professional intervention may be necessary.  If your emotional being is so overwhelmed with "stuff" that it is interfering with your quality of life - get help.
Link to an international resource Depression-helplines

How is the week going?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment