Welcome to My Garden

We may walk on different paths, but we follow the same footprints.

This year I'm focusing on improving my running and overall health by taking the 2017 Mile Challenge and seeing where the journey takes me. I'm also revisiting the Monthly Challenge started by Nephew Jason in 2009.

I'll try to post something every day. It may be a short inspirational quote or a longer narrative. Please join me......

"If you don't try, you won't know you can."


Tuesday, October 31, 2017

2017 miles Day 301



Yesterday I had the opportunity to read "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" to a group of 6th graders.  The language of the original by Washington Irving provided much fodder for this month's challenge of learning a new word every day:  supernumeracy, domiciliated, and many more.  I'm sad that there wasn't more time, only 1 hour and 20 minutes to read this piece.   The students were left with emotion and wonder.  Next year I hope we can schedule at least 2 hours to include discussion and sharing.
In just two short months we will be saying goodbye to 2017.  As I get older, I am realizing that time slips faster and faster - kinda like a long run.  The first couple of miles seem like forever, then you get in a groove  and before you know it six miles have passed, then another four.  Your body aches, but you keep going.  Mile after mile .................. why You say?  JUST BECAUSE I say.
I'm looking out my window this morning as I write.  The leaves still hanging on the apple tree are actually shivering in the cold and wind.  I don't think I've ever seen or noticed that before.  I'm sure it happens yearly, but I never took time to look.  What else am I not seeing because I don't take the time?  

Life is like that..........  Running is like that............ You do the same, see the same, but don't  take time to just enjoy.   A road run today is out of the question this morning with temps in the 20s and snow.  And so, I leave you with a message from Mr. Tony Garcia

This. A whisper from my heart.
We can be heroes.
Lend a hand
Lend an ear
Call a friend
Be a friend
Be kind
Be honest
Smile first 
Smile more
Listen to understand 
Listen undistracted
Say please
Say thank you
Give of your time
Give of yourself
Offer compassion
Offer hope
Apologize first
Forgive first
Simply care
Simply love
We can be heroes. ~G
**********************************************
Now, GET OUT THEE  You have work to do!!!



M


No comments:

Post a Comment