Welcome to My Garden

We may walk on different paths, but we follow the same footprints.

This year I'm focusing on improving my running and overall health by taking the 2017 Mile Challenge and seeing where the journey takes me. I'm also revisiting the Monthly Challenge started by Nephew Jason in 2009.

I'll try to post something every day. It may be a short inspirational quote or a longer narrative. Please join me......

"If you don't try, you won't know you can."


Thursday, May 18, 2017

2017 miles Day 137

"How  many of us stop short of success on purpose?  How many of us sabotage our own happiness because failure, while miserable, is a fear we're familiar with?  

Success, however, dreams come true, are a whole new kind of terrifying, an entire new species of responsibilities and disillusions, requiring a new way to think, act, and become.  

Why do we really quit?  Because it's hopeless?  Or because it's possible!"

~ Jennifer DeLucy

********************************

"... sabotage our own happiness because failure, while miserable, is a fear we're familiar with?"  The word "sabotage" has a very interesting meaning.  To sabotage, to deliberately destroy, damage, or obstruct.  Why would I want to deliberately destroy something that I worked so hard to accomplish?  

Let's take a closer look:  Training for a half-marathon takes dedication, hard work, and a mind set that You will accomplish your goal of running 13.1 miles with a personal record time.  (This Sunday, May 21st, I have set my goal at running the half-marathon with a time of 2hrs, 10 min or less, a 10 min mile pace)  You set that as a goal.  You spent 12 weeks working up to that goal.  Now, a couple of days before the race, doubt starts to creep in.  What if I can't keep up?  What's the use - I won't be able to do it.  If I sabotage my race by going on a drinking binge, at least I'll have something else to blame it on - it was the alcohol in my system that prevented me from doing my best.  The blame is shifted and the familiar failure to succeed, the familiar not-good-enough feeling, the familiar, comfortable, miserable, don't expect too much or you'll suffer disappointment again, sabotaging words are spoken to You by You.  QUIT doing that!!!  Ok, easy to say - hard to do.  But it really isn't.  Make up Your mind that You are not going to sabotage your race.  You have the strength, the will, the power, the ability to run your best.  The next couple days are going to be easy and relaxing.  Make smart beverage choices, hydrate, eat nutritious food, get plenty of sleep.  Rest, Relax, Rejoice in your ability to succeed.  And, most importantly ............

KEEP YOUR HEAD ON STRAIGHT - STOP SABOTAGING YOUR HAPPINESS!!!


1 comment: